Brett Eyes Back To Back Capalaba Cups
LEADING Queensland trainer Tony Brett is a live chance of securing back to back Capalaba Cups after Messy Man won his heat impressively Sunday.
22 March 2021
TONY Brett loves a day out at Capalaba.
And after landing a winning treble at the picturesque straight track on Sunday the leading Queensland trainer is a live chance of securing back-to-back Capalaba Cup titles this weekend.
Last year Brett won the Con Sciacca Capalaba Cup (366m) with his gun sprinter Hara’s Clyde.
And this Sunday, Brett will be relying on emerging youngster Messy Man which won his heat of the $25,000-to-the-winner series in a smart 19.70.
Messy Man’s slick win extended the son of Barcia Bale’s record to 10 wins from 21 appearances.
It followed the impressive debut victories of kennelmates Release The Rage (19.94) and Wolf Steele (20.05) in the heats of the Bob Vernon Memorial Maiden (366m).
Setting the time standard for Sunday’s maiden finale was the Kevin Ellis-trained Impact, the son of Fabregas running a scorching 19.53.
Rounding out the heat winners were Daysea’s Jimmy for Norma Dacey in 19.84 and Merchant Navy for Tony Zammit in 20.00.
Interestingly, finishing fifth in last year’s Bob Vernon Memorial Maiden was the Jamie Hosking-trained Columbian King, the son of Dyna Double One surging to favouritism for Sunday’s Capalaba Cup with a slick 19.50 heat win.
The reigning Capalaba Greyhound of The Year, Columbian King has won 19 of his 26 Capalaba appearances and goes into this weekend’s rich finale unbeaten in three box eight starts up the straight.
Greg Stella is rarely without a runner in a big race final at Capalaba and that will again be the case this Sunday, represented by Made In America – which has qualified for his second Capalaba Cup Final – and Ando’s Reject.
Made In America returned from a short spell to continue his insatiable Capalaba form to score in 19.87 while Ando’s Reject finished a half-length second to Messy Man.
Other heats were annexed by Scraping By for Julie King (19.93) and Bogie Fury for Ryan Ayre in 19.93.
2021 Con Sciacca Capalaba Cup Final (366m)
1. Messy Man – Tony Brett (19.70)
2. Scraping Bye – Julie King (19.93)
3. Bogie Fury – Ryan Ayre (19.74)
4. Made In America – Greg Stella (19.87)
5. Born To Run – Scott Gould
6. Little Byrnes – John Catton
7. Ando’s Reject – Greg Stella
8. Columbian King – Jamie Hosking (19.50)
9. Withcott Wonder – Darren Russell
10. Tough As Teak – Darren Russell
2021 Bob Vernon Memorial Maiden (366m)
1. Merchant Navy – Tony Zammit (20.00)
2. Release The Rage – Tony Brett (19.94)
3. Daysea’s Jimmy – Norma Dacey (19.84)
4. Impact – Kevin Ellis (19.53)
5. Scriven – John Catton
6. Wolf Steele – Tony Brett (20.05)
7. Boris The Blade – Brett Hazelgrove
8, Finglas – Greg Brennan
9. Oh Lady Oh – Graham Chalmers
10. Tequila Worm – Ned Snow